Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses
A license issued by the Clerk's Office is required before a marriage ceremony can take place. The license may be used anywhere in the State of Wyoming, but must be returned to Sweetwater County for recording before being sent to the State as a permanent record. The paperwork required takes approximately twenty minutes to complete.

Need to bring the following items
  • Driver license, State ID, Passport or birth certificate. This certificate must show gender. 
  • Social Security Number (You do not need your card.)
  • Parental consent if under age 18 (16 & 17)
  • If a minor is under the age of 16 then a court order is needed
Need to know the following
  • If previously married – dates of divorce and state where filed
  • Parents' names – mother’s maiden name 
  • State in which parents were born

Additional information

  • Both parties must be present to obtain a license
  • Blood work is not required
  • Marriage license is good in the State of Wyoming only, but good throughout the state
  • There is no waiting period 
  • Marriage licenses are issued between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
  • Marriage License Fee $30 cash or money order
Marriage Certificates with State Archives over 50 years old
Marriages have been recorded by the counties since their inception and this practice continues today. The Archives does house copies of county marriage record books and indexes from 1869 up to the 1960s, though specific dates vary by county. In 1941, the State began issuing certificates as well. After 50 years, the certificates become public records and are available for research at the Archives. Certificates are released at the beginning of the following calendar year (example: 1965 certificates will be available in early 2016.) 

1867-1960s – County marriage records available on microfilm at the Wyoming State Archives. Indexes available for each county. 

1941-1962 – State issued certificates are public records. Certificates and index available on microfilm at the Wyoming State Archives. 

1963-present – Access to state issued certificates restricted. Contact the Wyoming Vital Statistics Services. Contact county of origin for county issued records. 

Contact Information
Ph: (307) 872-3744 
Ph: (307) 922-5211 Rock Springs 

Email or Contact Form