Sheriff's Office

Concealed Firearm Permit

Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office - Badge of Office


Sweetwater County Instructions for CFP Applicants
Prior to 1994, Concealed Firearm Permits (CFPs) were issued by Wyoming's county sheriffs, but carry permits are now the province of the state's Division of Criminal Investigation.  Wyoming sheriff's offices are still involved in the application process, however.

Applications are available only online at and must be completed before you take the next step at Sweetwater County Detention Center, west of Rock Springs.

Those interested in applying for a Concealed Firearm Permit should review the Wyoming statutes that regulate the procedure, particularly its mandatory training provisions.  There is a link to the statutes on DCI'S Concealed Firearm Permits page.

Once at the DCI website, clicking on the link for "Concealed Firearms Permits" opens the Concealed Firearms Permits page.

The Concealed Firearm Permits page features links to the following:

  • Instructions for CFP Applicants
  • Wyoming CFP Application
  • Resident Wyoming Military Personnel Stationed Out of State
  • Frequently Asked Questions
  • Wyoming Concealed Firearm Permit Statute (Effective 07/01/2011)
  • Application for Duplicate Permit
To apply for a Concealed Firearm Permit, select the link "Wyoming CFP Application."  The application can then be downloaded to your computer and filled out completely.  Four (4) copies of the completed application form must then be printed out.  (The "Wyoming CFP Application" is used for renewal applications as well as new applications - just check the "Renewal Application" box instead of the "New Application" box.)

All four (4) copies of your completed application form, whether a new application or a renewal application, must be signed in the presence of a notary.

You may choose to make arrangements for a notary yourself or, as a courtesy, we will notarize your applications when you bring them to Sweetwater County Detention Center, located at 50140 Highway 191 South, Rock Springs, Wyoming.  (To get to the Detention Center, go to mile marker 99 on Interstate 80, turn onto U.S. Highway 191, and proceed 1.4 miles south.)

If you choose to have us notarize your application forms, do not sign them until you arrive at the Detention Center.

At the Detention Center, your application will be processed and you will be fingerprinted.

The hours for this procedure are 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

DCI Application Fees

  • New Applications - $64
  • Renewal Applications before the expiration date - $45  (You may apply for a renewal six (6) months before your expiration date, but not earlier.)
  • Renewal Applications after the expiration date - $55  (You are considered late after the permit
    expiration date.  You can only apply for a late renewal up to 6 months beyond the expiration
    date.  After 6 months you must apply as a new applicant; however, you will not need to
    resubmit your proof of firearms training).
  • Duplicate permit application - $5.
DCl's application fee must be included with your application in the form of a money order or cashier's check only, payable to the Division of Criminal Investigation or the Wyoming Attorney General's Office for the exact amount.  DCI does not accept cash, credit cards, debit cards, or personal checks.

Sheriff’s Office Processing Fee

There is a separate Sheriff’s Office processing fee of $15.  For this fee, the Sheriff’s Office accepts exact cash, money orders, cashier’s checks, or credit and debit cards (add a $1.95 transaction fee for credit and debit cards).

Please note that the DCI application fee and the Sheriff’s Office processing fee are separate and payment of these fees may not be combined.

What You Will Need to Bring With You to the Detention Center

New Applicants

  • Four (4) copies of your completed application form.
  • Your valid Wyoming driver's license or Wyoming ID card showing your correct Sweetwater County address.
  • Your DCI application fee.
  • Your Sheriff’s Office processing fee.
  • Your proof of firearms training (i.e., a valid hunter safety card, approved firearms and safety training certificate from a certified instructor, military DD214 form, etc.).  (See the DCI's Concealed Firearm Permits Page for details concerning training.  If you have any questions concerning whether or not your training or the training you are planning to complete qualifies, contact the DCI at or (307) 777-7181, or the Sweetwater County Sheriff’s Office at or (307) 352-4901.)
Renewal Applicants

  • Four (4) copies of your completed application form.
  • Your valid Wyoming driver's license or Wyoming ID card showing your correct Sweetwater County address.
  • Your concealed carry permit.
  • Your DCI application fee.
  • (There is no Sheriff’s Office processing fee for Renewal Applicants; nor are Renewal Applicants fingerprinted.)
Next Step - the Wyoming Department of Transportation

At the Detention Center, we will provide you with a copy of your application, which you will take to the Wyoming Department of Transportation Driver's Services Office in Rock Springs to have your picture taken for your permit.  This must be done within five (5) working days from the submittal date of your application. 

Your permit will use the address that is on your driver's license. If needed, please make address changes at this time.

Do not attempt to proceed with the picture-taking process until you have completed the process at the Sweetwater County Detention Center.

Hours for the process at the Wyoming Department of Transportation Driver’s Services Office [3200 Elk Street, Rock Springs, (307) 352-3001] are 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

Processing Times and Receipt of Permit

Once your photograph has been taken at the Department of Transportation, the processing time is 60 to 90 days, though periods of high volume may extend that time.  Permit cards are mailed directly to the Sheriffs Office at the Detention Center. You will be notified by phone when your permit card has been received.

You must appear in person and sign for your permit. Renewal applicants must turn in their previous permit card at that time.

Questions or Concerns

Questions or concerns may be directed to the Division of Criminal Investigation in Cheyenne at or (307) 777-7181, or the Sweetwater County Sheriff’s Office at or (307) 352-4901 from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

 Follow us:
Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office - Facebook   Sweetwater County Sheriff's Office - Twitter