Mobile Homes

Mobile Homes

Titles are required when purchasing a new mobile home or transferring ownership. A title is the document showing ownership which is issued by the County Clerk’s Office. Upon the sale of a mobile home, the seller should provide the buyer with a title for two reasons: 
  • Mobile homes cannot be moved or change location without proof of ownership with a title
  • The buyer has proof of ownership

The public record reflects the correct owner for tax assessment purposes. If the transfer of ownership is not reflected through the issuance of a new title in the buyer’s name, all assessments and tax bills will remain in the seller’s name.

Before issuing a mobile home title, the county clerk requires all current and delinquent taxes paid. It is recommended that a prospective mobile home purchaser contact the Treasurer’s Office at (307) 872-3720 or (307) 922-5402 to determine if the seller has paid the taxes up to date.

Transporting or Moving
Before moving a mobile home on any street or highway, the owner must present to the Treasurer’s Office, a certificate of title and pay the current year taxes (and all delinquent taxes, if any). In the event the ad valorem levy has not been set for the current year, the current year’s tax is computed by the County Assessor's Office with the levy for the previous year. Upon payment of the current year’s tax, the Treasurer’s Office issues the “Transportable Home - Application for Movement.” This identifies the mobile home, the new location, and paid taxes. With the two part form one copy will be required at the port of entry to receive an over-wide moving permit.

Mobile homes not attached to real property are assessed as personal property. The collection of delinquent mobile home taxes are handled differently than those of real property. The tax upon personal property is a lien upon the property until paid. Instead of selling the county’s lien at a tax sale, the Treasurer’s Office levies distress on personal property. The treasurer may exercise two companion options in recovering unpaid property taxes. 
  • The first option, known as distraint, permits the county treasurer to seize and sell enough of the personal property of the delinquent taxpayer to satisfy the tax obligation. For some, distraint may produce a disastrous result. For example, mobile homes may be seized and sold to pay the delinquent tax obligation.
  • The second option for the county treasurer is to attach a lien on the personal and real property (real estate) owned by the delinquent taxpayer.