Temporary Registrations

Temporary Registrations

The county treasurer is allowed to issue temporary registration on vehicles. These temporaries are different than the temporaries that dealerships issue and have specific requirements. To be issued a temporary registration you must present evidence of the following:

Properly executed title or a bill of sale displaying all of the following pieces of information:

  • The date the vehicle was purchased
  • The party that purchased the vehicle
  • The party that sold the vehicle
  • The vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • The vehicle make
  • The vehicle year
  • Sales tax must be paid
  • Verification of insurance

Permit Length & Restrictions

County treasurers are allowed to sell a 30-, 60-, or 90-day temporary registration. These registrations expire 30, 60, or 90 days from the purchase date of the vehicle, not the date the temporary was purchased.

Only one temporary registration may be issued to any vehicle in a 12-month period. Therefore, if any temporary is issued from the Treasurer’s Office, once it expires it cannot be extended, and you must purchase a regular vehicle registration.

Residents with vehicles with current or expired Wyoming registrations cannot obtain a temporary registration for their vehicles.

Fees & Expiration
Temporaries cost a portion of the normal annual licensing fees as follows:
  • 30-day temporary registration: 10% of the yearly fee
  • 60-day temporary registration: 20% of the yearly fee
  • 90-day temporary registration: 30% of the yearly fee

If regular Wyoming license plates are purchased after the purchase of a temporary registration, they will expire a year from the temporary expiration date. For example, if you purchase a vehicle on April 10, and get a 30-day temporary tag, the temporary tag would expire on May 10. When you then purchase regular license plates, the plates will expire in May instead of April.

In-Transit Permit
An in-transit permit may be purchased for $20, which entitles a person who obtains a vehicle from any person, other than a licensed Wyoming vehicle dealer, to operate the vehicle on the highways of Wyoming without registration, only for the purpose of removing the vehicle from the state within a period of forty-eight (48) hours from the date of the permit.  The applicant shall be required to provide any documentations necessary, including proof of insurance, to satisfy the county treasurer that the applicant has the lawful right to the vehicle.  The one-time permit shall expire forty-eight (48) hours after issuance, or upon leaving the state.  The "in transit" permit is designed to work for a person who may come in and acquire a vehicle when a title is not available.

Worker Temporaries

A Worker Temporary Permit may be issued to a non-resident worker that presents:

  • A current out of state registration and
  • Certification of insurance

The permits are issued in 30, 60, 90 or 120 day varieties; billed $50 for each 30 day increment.
If you require a registration longer than 120 days then you must purchase a regular Wyoming registration and display Wyoming plates on your vehicle.