Send application and a DD-214 to Memorial Programs Service (41A1), Department of Veterans Affairs, 5109 Russell Rd., Quantico, VA 22134-3903 or Fax to: 1-800-455-7143
- Apply for a headstone or marker
- Apply for a headstone medallion
VA national cemetery directors verify eligibility for burial in their cemeteries. To determine eligibility you will need a DD-214 Form, death certificate, and proof of relationship to the veteran.
- Burial in a national cemetery is available for eligible veterans, spouses, and dependents at no cost.
- Includes grave site, grave liner, opening and closing of the grave, headstone or marker, and care as part of a national shrine.
- For veterans, benefits include a burial flag and military funeral honors.
For more information about burial in a national cemetery, call (800) 827-1000, or visit the VA's Burial and Memorial Benefits website.
Presidential Memorial Certificates
Next of kin, relatives, and friends may apply for a certificate by mailing a completed VA Form 40-0247 and a copy of the veteran's DD-214 to:
Presidential Memorial Certificates (41A1C)
Department of Veterans Affairs
5109 Russell Rd.
Quantico, VA 22134-3903
The information may also be faxed to (800) 455-7143.
Military Funeral Honors
Family members should inform their funeral directors if they want military funeral honors. Funeral directors only may call to request honors at (877) MIL-HONR. For more information, please visit the Department of Defense's Military Funeral Honors website.
For information about disability compensation and pension, please visit the compensation page.